California Repossession Laws
RepoRant strives to be the best source possible for general information on car repossessions and the repo laws which govern California repossessions. We are NOT a legal service and are providing the following for informational purposes only. This is NOT legal advice and you should always speak directly with a certified California lawyer to help you with any California Repossession Law decisions.
In California, repossession laws are governed very strictly by the BSIS, which is the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services. They are responsible for issuing licenses for Repossession Companies, Private Investigation and various other areas. Their primary purpose is to protect consumers and ensure they are working with legitimate companies.
You can go to the BSIS to verify a Repossession Company License.
You can also file a complaint with the BSIS if you feel any laws have been broken in the repossession of your vehicle.
2023 CA Repossession Laws state that your possessions can be recovered under the following conditions:
· Repossession agents may not use violence in any way to recover your vehicles, or other property.
· Repossessions cannot happen when a repo agent has tricked you into bringing your vehicle into a shop and then taking it after you've left.
· However, if you bring it in on your own, then the repo agent does have the right to come take your car or truck at that point.
· Agencies do NOT need to notify you prior to repossessing your vehicle.
· There does not have to be a court hearing in California in order for a lending company to repossess your car or truck.
· Mortgage lenders are not able to repossess a house in California.
· California law requires that homes be placed into foreclosure and then auctioned if the loan cannot be paid.
How to get your California car, or truck repossession back from the repo agency after it has been recovered:
· Repo l
· You may be required by the lender to pay off the entire loan amount of the vehicle before getting the car or truck back.
· California repossession laws do not allow you to file for bankruptcy to avoid recovery of your vehicle.
· It is always advisable to contact a certified attorney to help you with your decisions related to repo laws.
CA repossession laws allow you to retrieve your personal belongings from your vehicle:
· Repo laws allow repossession companies to remove all loose items from the car or truck and store them at a cost to you.
· You will be given an appointment with the California repossession company who picked up your vehicle to come redeem your property and/or your repossessed vehicle.
· If the company does not allow you the opportunity to retrieve your property which was located in your vehicle, then you may contact the lender who you received the loan from and inform them what items you need back.
If you don't pay off the loan for your vehicle, it may be sold at auction:
· California repossession laws allow the lender to collect the remaining difference from you if the auction price of the car or truck did not cover the full balance of the loan.
You have options under California law if the lender tries to collect the loan balance from you:
California repossession lawyers can be helpful for individuals whose cars have been repossessed. They can help you understand your rights and the repossession laws in California, as well as advise you on the best course of action.
Some specific ways a lawyer can help in a repossession case in California include:
It's important to note that the laws regarding repossession vary from state to state, and a lawyer familiar with the laws in California can help ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process. Additionally, California has some specific regulations regarding repossession process, such as the requirement of a notice of default and right to cure, a lawyer can help you navigate and understand these regulations.
At RepoRant, we have information on Car Repossessions, Truck Repossessions, SUV Repossessions, as well as RV repossessions, Motorcycle repossessions, ATV repossessions, Personal Watercraft repossessions, and every other type of collateral recovery in California.
Time is money and we pride ourselves in helping you resolve your Repossession in California with timely and accurate information. You deserve to know your rights.